When you're sitting on the Formula 1 pitwall, as I was for many years, calls have to be made that can make or break an entire race weekend.
So what happens to teams and their drivers, who are, after all, just another member of the squad, when spur-of-the-moment decisions must be made?
Saturday at the British Grand Prix provided one of the most dramatic qualifying sessions I've seen for many a year. All three segments were cliff-hangers that went down to the dying seconds.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.