Instead of constantly search for new cost-cutting ideas, why do F1 teams not consider a breakaway series again? Would getting rid of CVC and Bernie Ecclestone not make the sport sustain itself and pay for cutting-edge innovation, attract more modern media exposure and allow for a better (from a fan's perspective) calendar?
Sasha Selipanov, via Facebook
Sasha, I've been around F1 for a long time and I have seen it transform from a racing event that few knew about to what it is today.
As a matter of fact, in 1973 the first time I went to Monaco working for Bernie's Brabham team I drove there in a Ford Transit van and open trailer with an F1 car on the back!
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.