What did Valtteri Bottas, Pastor Maldonado, Kamui Kobayashi and Marcus Ericsson have in common during the Austrian Grand Prix weekend?
They were the only drivers to string together a lap in qualifying that was the sum of their best individual times in each of the three sectors of the Red Bull Ring.
The one ultimate goal of any driver in qualifying is to string together their best possible lap. Even if they are struggling, a driver still has to do their own personal optimum.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.