While the Red Bull Ring retains the track configuration last used by Formula 1 in 2003, given the 11-year gap this is, effectively, a new race.
The first day of running threw up few surprises, with Mercedes dominating, but it does offer us a few hints of what to expect in qualifying and the race.
Gary Anderson: "I've had experience of this place both in its original form as the Osterreichring and the A1-Ring in the late 1990s and early 2000s and it always produced interesting races.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.