David Richards' telephone is ringing. It's March, 1989 and two worlds are about to collide; a legend about to be born.
It's no surprise that Richards remembers that first call from Ryuichiro Kuze, the founding president of Subaru's Tecnica International division. That was the deal that turned Prodrive into a world-beater.
There was, of course, Prodrive before Subaru and David Richards Autosport before Prodrive. But, 30 years ago, Richards opened the doors and started trading under a name that would go on to take six World Rally Championship titles, enjoy success at Le Mans and now help put machinery on Mars.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.