For a sport that's so full of people focusing on being the best, it's amazing that Formula 1 spends so much time talking itself down.
While the fascinating dynamic between Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg looks set to produce what could be an all-time-classic season, it's been hard to escape from the clouds of negativity that have hung over the paddock since the start of the year.
Criticisms of the noise, slating of the new engines, unhappiness with so-called economy drives, and complaints about the lack of competition have all been shouted from the rooftops. Is it any wonder that F1 has faced a battle to keep fans tuning in?
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.