Adrian Newey has become the ultimate panacea for all Formula 1 teams, as if simply acquiring his services guarantees an endless stream of silverware, as sure as his absence condemns a squad to years in the competitive wilderness.
Ferrari does not have Newey on its side. And, given that team principal Marco Mattiacci and the man himself have downplayed the possibility of this happening, it doesn't seem likely it will any time soon.
Newey is, without question, one of the greatest technical minds motorsport has ever produced, worthy of standing shoulder to shoulder with geniuses such as Colin Chapman. Any team would be improved by his presence. But two things are often overlooked.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.