Wandering around the Monaco paddock in the hours after qualifying last weekend it was hard to find many people who were totally convinced that Nico Rosberg had made just a simple mistake. While the majority of drivers and team bosses pleaded the 'Fifth Amendment' for public declarations, that they were so cautious in proffering their true opinion said all you really needed to know.
Indeed, when the microphones were put away, the notebooks closed up and the pens put down, it was clear there were a number of current drivers, former drivers and team bosses who had their suspicions Rosberg had run down the Mirabeau escape road on purpose.
Yet there was one argument for the defence that kept popping up: Rosberg could not have done it on purpose because he is too nice a chap.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.