Five years ago I had the privilege of interviewing Jack Brabham at his home on the Gold Coast in the build-up to the Australian Grand Prix.
Then 83, he still cut a formidable figure, meaning even those unaware of his feats in motorsport would be able to detect that this was a man of singular determination and force of will capable of greatness in his pomp.
Time had taken its toll, but Brabham remained the competitor of old. Had you given him the gift of a 30-year-old body, he would likely have jumped straight back into a grand prix car and shown the modern generation a thing or two.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.