So, the island of Ireland is bound for the World Rally Championship again. According to those lining the Ulster streets last week, it has to be. I know because I was there among them.
And I couldn't agree more. You almost had to feel sympathy for the European Rally Championship - the Circuit of Ireland's calendar host for this season - in the way the series was entirely overshadowed by a single event.
There were plenty who felt short-changed by the ERC: the series, they felt, had brought an entry in its 30s to an event which should have numbered in hundreds. And an Irish Tarmac round bolted on the back of the 'main' event with 80-plus on the roster did little to quell that feeling.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.