The air is - as one expects within any McLaren hospitality unit - crisply conditioned despite the sultry 35C Sepang humidity raging outside.
The team has come to Malaysia off the back of a provisional - subsequently confirmed - two-three in Melbourne, so spirits are high. However caution reigns, for, if anyone fully understands the enormity of the task facing a team once synonymous with winning, it is 51-year-old Jonathan Neale, McLaren Racing's COO and acting CEO.
Before going on record we touch upon (former team principal) Martin Whitmarsh's (still undefined) career realignment, and predictably Jonathan bats curveballs across the boundary markers. Clearly the subject of the man who led McLaren's Formula 1 effort before stepping out/aside/down/away is off-limits.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.