It's not a question of if, but when. We know it, Mercedes chiefs know it and Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg know it.
At some point this season, with the team so clearly allowing both its men free reign to fight as hard as they want for the win, there's going to be trouble.
A misjudged passing manoeuvre, a bit of over-aggressiveness, or a genuine bit of nefariousness is going to result in some bits of broken bodywork, a decent result thrown away and a fair bit of post-race controversy.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.