Porsche's return, a new set of revolutionary regulations for LMP1, fresh privateer challengers on the way and a wave of new P2 machinery coming must make this the most eagerly-anticipated season of international sportscar racing ever.
There's just so much going on in the World Endurance Championship, which kicks off at Silverstone this weekend, to excite sportscar fans.
And that's without taking into account the GTE Pro class and an ongoing battle between Ferrari, Aston Martin and Porsche that promises to be even more intense than before.
The new era won't be without its problems, witness the absentees from Silverstone, but the championship is most definitely on the up.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.