"I'm a lot more outspoken now because I have nothing to lose. I live well with that because I did a decent job. The people whose respect means something to me, they respect me."
Appropriately, Dr Gary Hartstein and I have arranged to meet in Murray's at Northamptonshire's Whittlebury Hall - a restaurant that pays homage to commentator Murray Walker.
Gary may be the clinical professor of anaesthesia and emergency medicine at Liege University Hospital, but he can also talk with massive enthusiasm about motorsport.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.