Twelve months ago Kevin Magnussen and Daniil Kvyat were starting out on what turned out to be career-changing seasons on the Formula 1 ladder, now both are already well-established on the grand prix grid.
Despite the testing limitations and F1's reputation for money making the difference in the driver market, its teams are still keeping a watchful eye on feeder categories such as GP2, Formula Renault 3.5, GP3 and European Formula 3, all of which feature a host of grand prix proteges on their grids this season.
As GP2 becomes the first of the training series to kick off for 2014 in Bahrain this weekend, AUTOSPORT picks out the drivers most likely to make a noise on the F1 nursery slopes this season.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.