However deep Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg have to dig to outdo each other on track, there's one factor that neither can have any influence over in their title battle: Lady Luck's shining light.
You can argue all you want about there being no luck in motor racing - that diligence is the mother of good fortune - but in sport sometimes you simply get dealt a bad card.
Last weekend, in a fascinating moment of transparency, Mercedes-Benz engine chief Andy Cowell came clean about the misfortune that had wrecked Hamilton's victory chances a fortnight ago in Australia. He pulled from his pocket a small plastic bag that had inside it a spark plug and a small blue rubber tube, no bigger than your little finger.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.