"Marquez has f****d it up for everyone," Scott Redding laughs. "You're meant to build into a rookie MotoGP season step by step. You're not meant to fight for the podium on your first race, or win your second.
"What he did was phenomenal, but it doesn't put pressure on me for my rookie year - it just shows what needs to be done. In my eyes, you go out there to prove a point. OK I'm not going to be on the same level bike, but I'll carry the same attitude. I won't be fazed by the occasion or who is around me."
It's a statement that sums up Redding. For all his candour, his laid back demeanour, his words - and his character - are edged with the steel of certainty. Redding might come across as a joker, but on track he's anything but.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.