There aren't too many Formula 1 drivers who end their careers without an overinflated opinion of their own ability. David Coulthard, who drove at the top level from 1994 to 2008, is one of the few who didn't.
In his second career, in the media, Coulthard is very honest - to the point of self-deprecation - about his skills during his first metier.
During that 15-year career at the sport's pinnacle, he went wheel to wheel with great champions such as Michael Schumacher, Mika Hakkinen, Sebastian Vettel, Fernando Alonso, Damon Hill, Jacques Villeneuve, Kimi Raikkonen and Lewis Hamilton.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.