There's a little bit of irony to the fact that Formula 1's most unpredictable of seasons may well deliver us a completely predictable outcome in Australia's opening round this weekend.
But even if Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg power the Silver Arrows in Melbourne to their first one-two since the 1955 Italian Grand Prix, don't believe for one second that the die is cast for an era of Red Bull F1 dominance to be followed by a Mercedes whitewash.
In fact, the one thing that no one must do after this weekend is write off new-era F1 as a lost cause, even if Australia does not deliver us a complete thriller with wheel-to-wheel battles from start to finish, and a race with strategic nuances to keep fans on the edges of their seats for two hours.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.