With no title sponsor, the memories of last year's troubled Formula 1 season still fresh and a car that needs more performance, you could forgive McLaren for being cautious about its on-track performance going into 2014.
Instead, the returning Ron Dennis is bullish about prospects and believes that actions he has taken since returning to the helm as Group CEO will put it back onto the top step of the podium.
"I believe we will win races this year," he says. "How many we'll win I don't know. How quickly we'll win I don't know. But the focus and commitment that I've given to that part of the company are huge."
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.