As pre-season testing edges towards its conclusion, it's not hard to see just why Mercedes has emerged as favourite to be battling for victory when the lights go out at the Australian Grand Prix.
The speed and reliability of those silver cars from Brackley has left the team in the driving seat - even though the threat from McLaren is real and we have not yet seen what Ferrari is truly capable of.
But if the winter preparations appear to be ending with some pretty handy hints about the competitive order at the front, and no one will be surprised if Mercedes does indeed come out on top in Melbourne, that growing consensus about form is actually opening up a prospect that could be even more mouth-watering.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.