Look away now if you don't want to feel old: it has been 19 years since Alex Zanardi last raced a GT car.
Back then, his world looked pretty different. In 1995, the Lotus Esprit GT2 that he raced at Donington Park and Silverstone alongside Alex Portman was essentially a 400bhp life raft, something to keep him afloat as he navigated the waters between the collapse of the Lotus team for which he had driven in Formula 1 and the opportunities that were about to open up to him in the US.
A lot has happened in the two decades since: a stellar career in the US, a disappointing F1 return, a life-changing accident, a motorsport comeback, and total conquest of the world of handcycle racing.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.