Look away now if you don't want to feel old: it has been 19 years since Alex Zanardi last raced a GT car.
Back then, his world looked pretty different. In 1995, the Lotus Esprit GT2 that he raced at Donington Park and Silverstone alongside Alex Portman was essentially a 400bhp life raft, something to keep him afloat as he navigated the waters between the collapse of the Lotus team for which he had driven in Formula 1 and the opportunities that were about to open up to him in the US.
A lot has happened in the two decades since: a stellar career in the US, a disappointing F1 return, a life-changing accident, a motorsport comeback, and total conquest of the world of handcycle racing.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.