This started 300 years ago with a bunch of fur trappers and a settlement called Fall Creek, and has continued right through to Dario Franchitti and Dan Wheldon, and beyond.
When it comes to Brits making the trip across the Atlantic to seek good things in the Indianapolis area, Jack Harvey isn't exactly blazing a new trail.
But in racing terms, it remains a path less trodden than the morass of European single-seater categories that all offer the same fragment of hope of a Formula 1 opportunity somewhere in the distance; an opportunity that, for most, never develops into much beyond an abstract concept.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.