"Inevitably, no designer dares to suggest a radically new car and we see virtually the same old bangers wheeled out year after year. Some tiny change puts one team on top for a while, but the cars gradually become more and more alike.
"The less intellectual spectators adore this kind of racing, for they want close finishes above all things, and they get them. In any case they are far more interested in hero-worshipping their favourite drivers than in studying the cars that carry them to victory.
"For them, racing is fine the way it is and they want nothing to disturb its endless repetition.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.