Two years ago the British Touring Car Championship could boast just two series champions on its grid. And although Jason Plato and Matt Neal have provided some dramatic tin-top moments over the years, it's fair to say the championship needed some fresh blood, and perhaps a dash of foreign flair.
Now it has both. This season, assuming Colin Turkington re-signs with WSR, we will have seven BTCC champions lining up at Brands Hatch next month thanks to the return of Alain Menu and Fabrizio Giovanardi.
That's more than the series managed even during the height of the manufacturer-rich Super Touring era (1994 and '97 both featured six reigning or former champions, plus five future title winners). It's a remarkable turnaround.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.