Red means danger so mechanics wheel the Sauber in wearing insulated silicone gloves © XPB
When the Mercedes W05 was unveiled to photographers, the rollhoop shone with the light from an array of green LEDs.
Rather than this being a reflection of the fuel sponsor's colour scheme, it was the first view we've had of a new safety-light system for 2014's more powerful ERS.
Up until last year, any car fitted with KERS had to have a safety light on top of the chassis to warn marshals and mechanics of the car's electrical safety status.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.