It took a big step forward in competitiveness in 2013, but Mercedes has a point to prove and its new car underlines this.
The Mercedes F1 W05 was revealed in the Jerez pitlane on Tuesday and its design shows that there's a great depth of independent thinking at Mercedes, with its U-shaped nose and shrunken engine cover.
There's a close family resemblance to the 2013 car, although clearly everything is new. The rounded nose of the W05 bears similarities to the concept of last year's, with a quite-rounded crash structure tipped with an inverted U shape.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.