After all the talk of new regulations and ugly noses, it was finally time to see - and hear - the new breed of turbocharged Formula 1 cars on track at Jerez this morning.
AUTOSPORT decided to head out to Dry Sac, the tight right-hander at the end of the back straight. Here, you can see the cars approaching at high speed before braking hard and coming down the (eight-speed) gearbox. They then accelerate away as the drivers head off into the faster Turn 7.
It's cool but dry as the session begins and, encouragingly, one car heads out on track straight away. It's Lewis Hamilton in the new Mercedes.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.