Recently I got asked, 'If I had the chance to retrace my footsteps from karting to Formula 1, how would I do it today? What formulas would I aim for'?
For many young father-son partnerships this is the million-dollar question. In fact, I could see this particular individual waiting and hoping for me to deliver some magical advice, but in truth, I actually felt sorry for him and his son.
With the benefit of hindsight I am now very well informed, but surely there should be a structure in place today whereby the right advice is readily available to everyone, not just those with key contacts in the sport?
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.