Derek Warwick started 99 GPs in turbo machinery, from Toleman-Hart to Arrows-Megatron via Renault and Brabham-BMW, and scored four podiums.
He never quite had the luck to take a Formula 1 victory, but the current BRDC president is well-placed to assess the drivers of the era.
So, here are his views on the best F1 drivers, judged by what they achieved - and how they performed - in turbocharged F1 cars, with their turbo moments selected by AUTOSPORT.
10. KEKE ROSBERG
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.