Pre-season is always a tough time for every Formula 1 team. Some of my lowest moments have occurred in the run up to a new season as working hours hit new limits, fatigue builds and frustration begins to counterbalance the excitement and optimism of the upcoming campaign... even before a wheel's been turned in anger.
The worst thing was, we'd all have a slightly longer Christmas break than many outside the sport due to the accrued holiday throughout the previous season, so we'd just about slip back into some form of normal life with friends and family, and then get that 'back-to-school' feeling ahead of the first working day of the year.
We'd all know what was coming over January and February, we knew it was part of the job we loved and we did it every year, but it never stopped us all dreading those two months each time.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.