Closely guarded behind the garage doors of two of the world's largest automotive manufacturers, a car with a claim to being the fastest racer outside Formula 1 was rolled out last year.
If you missed it, so did many others - and that is precisely the problem Super Formula hopes its new 550bhp monster will crack. It's a creation based around a simple mantra: to re-establish Japan's premier open-wheel series as an international force.
To do that, Dallara was recruited to build a chassis compliant with 2010 FIA F1 safety standards around two briefs: quicker and lighter.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.