There is no shortage of drivers who could - or should - have been world champions, but who is the best of the Formula 1 nearly-men?
AUTOSPORT decided to have an office debate and come up with the top 25.
The only criterion was that candidates had to have competed in F1 for at least one full season. Beyond that, a driver's longevity, title opportunities and opposition were just some of the factors considered in coming up with this list.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.