Since his death in 1977, Jose Carlos Pace, rated as one of the best 25 drivers never to have won the world championship in this week's special AUTOSPORT feature, has been deeply missed in Brazilian motorsport.
Regarded as one of the brightest talents of his generation and a driver with the potential to be a world champion, he passed away on March 18 1977 when the plane carrying him and fellow driver Marivaldo Fernandes crashed during a tropical storm.
Up to that point, Pace had climbed from British Formula 3 star to grand prix winner with Bernie Ecclestone's Brabham team and was seen by some as a potential champion.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.