Gary Hartstein was Formula 1's official medical delegate from 2005-12. He has been following news of Michael Schumacher's head injury closely, and in this exclusive column for AUTOSPORT, he provides in-depth insight into the clinical situation at present.
Let's take a look at what's happened to Michael Schumacher, from his fall until roughly now. It goes without saying that this is based on what we've been told at the press conferences, viewed and interpreted through my eyes.
I will not speculate, but will rather read between the caring physicians' lines and put this into the context of the treatment of severely head-injured patients.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.