This year is a watershed for Formula 1 technology. Every area of the car is affected by the new regulations, none more so than the engine.
As much as engines have changed over recent decades, never have the rules demanded such huge alterations in one sweep. The FIA's desire for fuel-efficient, but powerful, engines has been met with a move to 1.6-litre turbocharged power.
This means that the 2014 season will be dominated, and most likely decided, by engine technology.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.