Sergio Perez found out the hard way that a top Formula 1 team such as McLaren takes no prisoners if you don't deliver.
So with that in mind, you could forgive his rookie replacement Kevin Magnussen for wanting his bosses to go easy with their expectations.
With all-new regulations delivering perhaps the biggest off-season change that F1 has ever experienced, plus modern testing restrictions meaning no chance to gain valuable mileage, Magnussen has all the reasons he could need in demanding a bit of leeway before he's required to produce top results.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.