German GP, Nurburgring, August 4 1963
Ferrari 156 Dino
I think when you try choosing your best race, it's less important what happens in the race and more important when it happens, what time in your life, and what the subsequent effects are. So, from that perspective, nothing beats my first grand prix win in Germany in 1963.
The 156 Ferrari was a bit of an antiquated car. The '62 car had been a disaster for the team because they'd put most of the budget into the Le Mans 24 hours programme so F1 was a bit of an afterthought.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.