Particularly in recent years, some very strange ideas have been suggested and, in some cases, introduced in Formula 1.
In the wake of the decision to award double points for the 2014 season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, which has met with almost universal derision amongst fans, AUTOSPORT looks back at 15 rule changes that raised eyebrows.
Some were adopted and later dropped, some never got off the drawing board and some were more based upon unexpected interpretations of current rules.
The aim is not to be exhaustive, but to give an overview of some of the strange ideas that have cropped up in grand prix racing, particularly in recent years.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.