Three rounds into the 2013 Superstars International Series season, Gianni Morbidelli was anything but in contention for the title.
More than 50 points behind early leader Thomas Biagi, and well off the pace of the dominant Romeo Ferraris Mercedes squad, a fourth series crown seemed unlikely.
But a stunning second half of the season, helped by a string of races on circuits well suited to Morbidelli's four-wheel-drive Audi RS5, allowed the ex-Ferrari Formula 1 driver to charge to the big prize, wrapping up the title with a race to spare.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.