"We recently commented on a Macao GP...According to our information, this was in Brazil, but this, it transpires, was incorrect, the Macao concerned being the 5 square mile Portuguese colony on the banks of the Canton river in China."
AUTOSPORT's report of the first Gran Premio de Macau on October 31 1954 may have been worryingly wobbly on some fundamental details, but the race's rapid elevation in status would soon make it unthinkable that any racing enthusiast could suffer similar confusion.
The creep of homogeneity elsewhere has perhaps only served to accentuate the allure of the Macau Guia circuit.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.