The announcement last month that the DTM would not be returning to Brands Hatch, or indeed Great Britain in 2014, was a major disappointment to fans of the series on these shores, but not a huge shock.
Since first appearing in the UK with a non-championship 'ITR Cup' double-header at Donington Park 22 years ago, the DTM has, in various guises, taken in Silverstone and Brands Hatch and featured star names like Jean Alesi, Mika Hakkinen and Juan Pablo Montoya.
But spectacular machinery and front-running British drivers such as Gary Paffett, Jamie Green and Paul di Resta have not been enough to keep the British fans either buying Mercedes, Audis and BMWs, or even showing up to the races anymore.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.