As the rest squabbled to try to offer Sebastian Vettel some competition, it only increased his advantage.
Sitting in second place on the grid, his apparent threats were:
Mark Webber: He was taken care of at the start, as has happened so often before, Mark's poor start further punished by it allowing Nico Rosberg's Mercedes through too.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.