In three of Abu Dhabi's four grands prix, the polesitter has hit mechanical problems and failed to finish - so habitual pole-grabber and new world champion Sebastian Vettel can't be too confident if he dominates qualifying again on Saturday.
Two years ago Vettel himself was the unlucky poleman. Just like now he was already world champion, but his Red Bull picked up a puncture at the first corner at Yas Marina and was left too damaged to continue after spinning off the road.
Lewis Hamilton was the victim of both the other two Abu Dhabi pole failures, retiring with brake problems on lap 20 in 2009 and fuel-pressure issues on lap 19 in '12.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.