"Nigel had been leading and singing nursery rhymes to me over the radio - as Nigel does. Suddenly, he came screaming on the radio, saying the steering wheel was falling off"
From designing an Indy 500 winner in his father's front room to launching the semi-automatic gearbox on an unsuspecting world, pioneering designer John Barnard has had an immense impact on motor racing. Nowadays he's just as happy designing furniture - in carbonfibre, of course...
These days, F1 designers are so tightly restricted that innovation is all too often crushed by the need to tick regulatory boxes. John Barnard, it could be said, caused many of those boxes to be created in the first place, mainly because of an unerring ability to think beyond them.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.