The mob rule of the majority of the teams against Red Bull's recent dominance pressured Pirelli into bringing the super-soft/medium tyre combination to South Korea.
The tougher the tyre, the more of Red Bull's downforce advantage can be used. Funnily enough, the others didn't fancy that and pressed for a more marginal choice, to stop Sebastian Vettel disappearing into the distance.
The original soft/medium chosen for Yeongam would have made for a more balanced stint length between the two compounds, and that would have made two-stopping - much the fastest way here - much less marginal on tyre life.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.