"When I saw the JPS for the first time, I was shocked. I told Colin it looked like a coffin - he just needed to put four handles on the sides"
McLaren's first world champion, Emerson Fittipaldi, joined the Formula 1 grid just 18 months after arriving in the UK from Brazil as a fresh-faced Formula Ford racer. His may have been a charmed career, but as a young driver in the early 1970s, he experienced the dangers of the era first hand...
'Serene' is the word that springs to mind as Emerson Fittipaldi glides into view. He was like that as a racer and he's like that now as he appears in the lobby of the Goodwood Hotel.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.