Only four men have known what it means to take charge of the McLaren Formula 1 team. Martin Whitmarsh is now in his fifth season at the helm having succeeded Ron Dennis ahead of the 2009 season and now leads the squad into its second half-century.
During his tenure, he has steered the ship through some troubled waters - the loss of Lewis Hamilton, uncompetitive machinery in both his first and the current season, the end of Mercedes's co-ownership of the company and the striking up of a fresh alliance with Honda for 2015.
It has certainly never been dull.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.