Daniel Ricciardo has never finished better than seventh in a grand prix. He has yet to start higher than fifth and has a grand total of two laps of experience of running in the top three.
Next season, he will be expected to fight for race victories and be a key part of a world championship push.
It is a big step up for the Australian, but the 24-year-old has earned his chance to be tested at the highest level.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.