Consider for a moment the depth of quality of drivers who raced in the Super Touring era - not just in the British Touring Car Championship, but worldwide. Tarquini, Winkelhock, Biela, Cleland, Aiello, Pirro... the list is almost endless.
During this period, manufacturer money attracted some of the best drivers outside Formula 1, providing some of the most competitive racing ever seen in tin-tops.
Imagine then, the quality of Alain Menu, who tops AUTOSPORT's poll of the greatest driver of the Super Touring era, as voted for by those who raced with him at the zenith of Super Touring's 1990s pomp.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.